Home Search Contact

Pitt County Government

Welcome to the Hurricane Irene Information page. You will find important information concerning Pitt County's response to Hurricane Irene, and tips for citizens rebuilding after the storm. Visit often, as information is updated as it becomes available. Follow Pitt County on Twitter for updates fast and first: @PittCountyNC

Update: View the Guide to Replacing Lost or Damaged Documents here. Pitt County citizens who have been approved for Food and Nutrition Services disaster benefits and have not received a benefits card may pick up the card at the Pitt County Department of Social Services, Human Services Building, 203 Government Circle, Greenville, weekdays from 8:00a until 5:00p.

A form of identification must be presented in order to receive the card. Citizens can call 252.902.1197, 252.902.1105, 252.902.1103 for questions about EBT benefits. Benefits registration is over.

Disaster unemployment assistance: The deadline for residents affected by Hurricane Irene to register for FEMA assistance is October 31st. Disaster unemployment assistance and legal services are available to those affected by Hurricane Irene. Here is an overview of the programs:

  • Disaster unemployment: Benefits are available to individuals who lost work in the disaster counties listed below. Those who may apply include self-employed persons, farm and ranch owners and others not usually covered under regular unemployment insurance programs.  Call 866.795.8877 from 8:00a to 4:30p, Monday through Friday.
  • Legal assistance: Those who can’t afford an attorney and who run into a legal snag due to the hurricane in a county listed below may call 800.662.7407 weekdays from 9:00a to 4:00p.  Ask for Disaster Legal Services and a volunteer attorney will call back in 48 to 72 hours.

Unemployment Help: The North Carolina Employment Security Commission can provide unemployment benefits dating back to Sept. 3. Workers and business owners who meet the following criteria may be eligible:

  • Individuals who are unemployed due to the disaster and do not qualify for regular unemployment insurance benefits
  • Self-employed individuals and small business owners who lost income due to the disaster
  • Individuals who were prevented from working due to an injury caused by the disaster
  • Individuals who are unable to get to work because they must travel through the affected area and are prevented from doing so by the disaster
  • Individuals who were to begin work, but were prevented by the disaster
  • Individuals who became the major supplier of income for a household because of the death or injury of the previous major wage earner

Pitt County citizens can learn more about disaster unemployment assistance and apply for benefits by calling the NCESC by October 5.

Legal Aid: Disaster-related legal assistance is offered by the North Carolina Bar Association.  The Young Lawyers Division of the North Carolina Bar Association is providing volunteer attorneys to help with legal complications that arise from the hurricane. Examples include:

  • Advice regarding landlord/tenant issues
  • Replacement of lost legal documents
  • Advice about contracts disrupted by the hurricane
  • Help with insurance disputes and other legal complications caused by the disaster

Crisis Counseling: Crisis counseling services are available to persons affected by Hurricane Irene. Counseling for all ages can be arranged by calling 866.451.7760 between 8:00a and midnight, seven days a week. Callers are referred to a specially trained counselor in their county to get help with stress and changes in behavior caused by the storm. Referral services and short-term intervention counseling are confidential.

Mosquitoes: Those who have questions concerning mosquitoes in Irene's aftermath may call 252.902.3220. Citizens will be able to leave their name, number and address; if they want a return call, they can leave times they're available. Otherwise, their information will be recorded and Vector Control will follow up as necessary. Citizens living within incorporated areas of the county should contact their respective municipalities concerning mosquito spraying.

Pitt County's Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) is now open and located at the Ag Center at 403 Government Circle, Greenville. Starting Sunday, Sept. 25, the DRC will be closed on Sundays, but will remain open Monday - Saturday, 8:00a-7:00p. Pitt County citizens can visit the center to have their questions answered. Pitt County citizens can register with FEMA by either calling: 1.800.621.3362 (TTY 1.800.462.7585; help is available in most languages.); or by going online at www.fema.gov/assistance. Although registration is available at the DRC, citizens are encouraged to register before visiting. Assistance from FEMA can cover:

  • Temporary Housing (a place to live for a limited period of time): Money is available to rent a different place to live, or a government provided housing unit when rental properties are not available.
  • Repair: Money is available to homeowners to repair damage from the disaster to their primary residence that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to make the damaged home safe, sanitary, and functional.
  • Replacement: Money is available to homeowners to replace their home destroyed in the disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to help the homeowner with the cost of replacing their destroyed home.
  • Permanent Housing Construction: Direct assistance or money for the construction of a home. This type of help occurs only in insular areas or remote locations specified by FEMA, where no other type of housing assistance is possible.
  • Other than housing needs, such as disaster-related medical and dental costs; disaster-related funeral and burial costs; clothing; household items (room furnishings, appliances); tools (specialized or protective clothing and equipment) required for your job; necessary educational materials (computers, school books, supplies) and others. Visit the FEMA web site for a complete list and to apply.
  • Download the How Do I Apply for Disaster Assistance? brochure. (Spanish version)

What Homeowners can expect: Inspectors from the Federal Emergency Management Agency are currently contacting disaster applicants in the North Carolina counties whose primary residence sustained damage from Hurricane Irene.

Inspectors are private contractors who wear official FEMA identification. Authorized inspectors will only confirm personal detailed information that has been provided previously during the registration process. There is no charge for the inspection. It’s important to keep the scheduled appointment to make sure the assistance process moves quickly.

Federal assistance to individuals and households may include loans and grants to help pay for rental housing, essential home repairs and other disaster-related expenses.

What to Expect:
1: Call from Inspector: After registration an inspector will call and schedule an appointment to visit the damaged property – generally no longer than 10 days after registration.

2: Inspector’s Visit: Inspectors will review both structural and personal property damage and then file a report. The process typically takes 15 to 45 minutes. Inspectors do not determine an applicants' eligibility. The applicant – or someone who is 18 or older and lived in the household prior to the disaster – must be present for the scheduled appointment.

3: Follow Up Letter: Within 10 days of an inspector’s visit, applicants will receive a letter from FEMA containing a decision. Individuals with questions regarding the letter should call the helpline number 1.800.621.3362 (TTY 1.800.462.7585) or visit a disaster recovery center http://www.fema.gov/drclocator. If an applicant is eligible for assistance, the letter will be followed by a check or an electronic funds transfer. The letter explains how the money can be used.

Download FEMA's guide to Temporary Housing Assistance.

Applicants may receive a low-interest disaster loan application in the mail from the U.S. Small Business Administration. The loan does not have to be accepted. However, completing an SBA application opens the door to other possible forms of assistance.

Debris Removal:
Extended Transfer Station Hours:
Monday - Saturday -8:00a-5:00p (Until further notice)
Closed Sundays
The Ayden collection site is full and is no longer taking debris. Citizens are encouraged to take their vegetative debris to the Transfer Station on Allen Rd. or to the Edwards Farm Landfill owned by E.R. Lewis, off of County Home Rd. behind the Forestry Service. There is no cost to drop debris at either location.

What does Pitt County's Public Assistance (PA) declaration mean for debris removal? The NCDOT will remove debris from state-owned roadways, but citizens should be aware that this may take some time. Please visit this web site to verify if your road is a state-owned roadway. Citizens should also check with their respective municipalities to verify their debris removal process. Pitt County is still not picking up debris at this time. Citizens, please be aware of dishonest "contractors:" People posing as contractors can offer tree removal services. They can ask for a down payment, and tell you to hurry and hire them because they are busy. No matter how nice someone sounds, do not be pressured into hiring someone you do not know. Always do your homework to be sure the contractor is legitimate. Tree removal: Citizens with downed trees on private residences/property should contact their insurance agents and a private company (if needed) to remove trees. Pitt County has no resources to remove trees. Burning: Pitt County citizens need burning permits to burn. Only vegetative debris, such as limbs, leaves, etc., can be burned. It is illegal to burn garbage, paper, building materials, including lumber, tires, etc. Click here for a complete list of illegal items and to view a list of burning permit agents. Citizens can also apply for a permit online at www.ncforestservice.gov. Just click on the Quick Link on the right side of the page.

Help for Farmers:
Pitt County Agricultural Disaster Loss Estimates came in at $24,641,888. The NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is still offering a toll-free hotline to help farmers affected by Hurricane Irene connect with resources that can assist with their recovery. Farmers can call the agricultural disaster hotline at 1.866.506.6222. Information also is online at www.ncagr.gov.

By calling the hotline or visiting the website, farmers can obtain information about programs and agencies that can assist with the recovery process.

Other Assistance:
Food stamps: Households may use their Disaster Food and Nutrition Services Benefits to purchase hot prepared meals from retailers that are located in these counties who are authorized to accept EBT Benefits through September 30, 2011.

Click on the links for important after the storm safety information from Pitt County Public Health.
Disaster Tips
Disaster Tips - Spanish

Other links:
Pitt County Municipalities
NCDOT Travel information page