Home Search Contact

Pitt County Government

Additional Services

Environmental Health Division Address

Our mailing address is 1717 W. 5th Street Greenville, NC 27834. Our offices are located in the Development Services Building next to the County Office Building near the intersection off 5th Street/ HWY 43 N and Memorial Drive.

Food, Lodging and Institutional Sanitation

Protecting the citizens from unnecessary environmental risks has always been a priority of Public Health. The Department of Environmental Health inspects all restaurants, food and drink stands, mobile food units, push carts, temporary food stands, stands at festivals, meat markets, hotels, motels, bed and breakfast establishments, schools, childcare facilities, residential care homes, and tattoo artists/establishments to ensure that they comply with the sanitation standards established by the state health department. For more information, please call 902-3206. Applications for food service permits and temporary food stands can be downloaded from the Forms Library under Public Health. For restaurant ratings, click here.

Indoor Air Quality

The reduction of mold, carbon monoxide and other pollutants play a critical role in improving respiratory and general health. Pitt County Environmental Health does not have regulatory authority over indoor air quality; however there is staff available that can offer suggestions and general information. For advice about indoor air quality, please call 902-3206. To read more about indoor air quality,
please click here.

Lead Poisoning

The Health Department investigates places where children live, go to school or spend significant amounts of time. Environmental Health Specialists work with families and/or businesses, such as childcare facilities, to reduce the risk of exposure to hazards. Also see Lead Screening under "Children's Clinical Services" or call 902-3206 for more information
please click here.

Migrant Camp Inspections

Migrant camps are inspected to ensure that the wastewater facilities and drinking water supplies are in accordance with the state sanitation rules. The inspection is done prior to occupancy and the proper forms are filled out and mailed to the NC Department of Labor and the Agricultural Safety and Health Bureau who then certify the facility for use. Please call 902-3206 for more information.

Mosquito Management

Pitt County uses an Integrated Pest Management approach to mosquito control. This method includes: providing prevention education to schools and civic organizations, as well as home and business owners; responding to public requests for assistance to reduce mosquito problems; trapping and identifying mosquito species at various locations around the county; and applying biological and chemical products when needed to kill mosquito populations. For more information about mosquito management,
please click here.

On-Site Sewage Disposal

Sites are evaluated for their suitability to dispose of sewage in a safe and sanitary manner. The evaluation is based on the soil quality, topography of the land and its intended use. Permits are issued or denied in accordance to the criteria established by state law. On-site sewage disposal systems are designed, inspected and monitored according to state law. Please call 902-3206 for more information. To read a pamphlet about septic systems go to Septic System Guide on the resources page or to read a shorter version
click here.


The Pitt County Health Department does not regulate bed bugs. For more information please visit the
North Carolina Department of Agriculture.

Private Drinking Water Supplies

Effective July 1, 2007, all private drinking water wells in Pitt County were required to be permitted prior to installation. On October 12, 2011, Pitt County adopted local well rules which required irrigation wells to also be permitted by the Environmental Health Division. All private drinking water wells and irrigation wells in Pitt County are required to be permitted by the Environmental Health Division prior to installation. Additionally, to repair, replace or abandon a well also requires a permit. The permitting process begins with completion of an application for the construction, repair, or abandonment of a water well. Upon completion of the application, a site visit is made to evaluate the property or the existing well and issue an authorization to construct, repair or abandon the well, detailing the site requirements. An inspection by Environmental Health staff during installation of the well and inspection of the well head are required. An inspection is also required for the repair or abandonment of a well. With new or replacement drinking water wells, the last step in the process is collection of a water sample by Environmental Health staff which is then sent for analysis to the State Public Health Laboratory. All elements of the permitting process are intended to ensure that state laws and rules are followed. In addition to sampling new well installations, Environmental Health staff will also collect water samples for analysis from existing drinking water wells that meet state construction standards. For more information about the requirements for new or existing private drinking water wells or irrigation wells, please call 902-3206.

Public Swimming Pools and Spas

All public swimming pools, wading pools, and spas must comply with the North Carolina Administrative Code .2500 Rules Governing Public Swimming Pools. All public pools and spas must have an operation permit issued by the Pitt County Health Department prior to opening. Two types of permits are available:

1. An annual operation permit is valid for one year from the date of issuance.

2. A seasonal permit is issued on or after April 1 and expires on October 31 of that year.

Prior to issuance of a permit for each operation year or season, the owner or operator must submit an application and the required fee to the Environmental Health Office. The application and fee information for public pools and spas can be found on the Forms Library under Public Health.

All public swimming pool operators must be certified by either the National Swimming Pool Association or the American Swimming Pool and Spa Association.

If constructing a new public pool or spa, the owner shall submit two complete sets of plans, equipment specification (spec) sheets and plan review fee to the Pitt County Environmental Health office located at 1717 West Fifth Street for review and approval prior to the start of construction. The plans and specifications must be prepared by a Registered Design Professional and constructed by a Swimming Pool Contractor licensed by the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors. If construction does not begin within one year from the date of approval, the approval is void and the process must begin again.

Remodeling defined as renovations requiring disruption of the majority of the pool shell or deck, changes in the pool profile, or redesign of the pool hydraulic system requires that the owner follow the same process as new construction.

For more information about public swimming pools and spas, please
click here.