- About Us
- Contact Us
Message From The Director
A healthy community...at what cost?
Everyone today is concerned about "Healthcare Cost". Our nation and community have experienced a tremendous rise in the cost of medical care over the last decade. We as a nation pay more per person for healthcare than most countries in the world and yet we are not a "healthy" nation. In fact, more than forty countries healthier than we are pay less money on healthcare per capita than we do. Why is this, and what can we do in Pitt County to improve this? Most of our healthcare dollars are spent on care that is at the end of a long disease process or at the end of life. This is very expensive care because it often requires high technology equipment and highly trained personnel to provide. Unfortunately, our private insurers and even government insurers (Medicare, Medicaid) are often not willing to invest in long-term preventive healthcare that may avoid some of these later high cost treatments.
Public Health is the "Community's Doctor". We work to make sure that Pitt County, as a whole, is healthy. We are very fortunate in Pitt County to have the availability of some of the best medical facilities in the world, and yet, we still struggle with segments of our population who suffer with very poor health status. It is our job to identify these populations and work toward reducing the disparities in health status. Public Health promotes health and wellness and works collaboratively with our community to improve the health of every citizen. We invest our efforts in the prevention of disease with the belief that in the long run it will pay off for everyone.
I personally believe that it is time to redesign our country's "healthcare system" into a "system for health". Your Pitt County Public Health Department is working to make our citizens healthier and to save our healthcare dollars. You can help by doing two things:
- Maintain your own personal health. Your doctor can help you decide on a health maintenance plan that is right for you.
- Support your Public Health Department. You can learn more about what we are doing in your community on this website.
The mission of Public Health in Pitt County is to protect, promote, and assure the health of all people in Pitt County. Public Health Center staff will:
Protect: Protect people from unnecessary environmental risks such as exposure to lead, foodborne diseases, waterborne diseases and other communicable diseases.
Promote: Promote individual and community health behaviors which increase the span of healthy life.
Assure: Assure access to essential preventive health services for all people.
This mission will be accomplished through collaborative team work and commitment to quality, consumer-centered services.
A community whose population demonstrates healthy behaviors and recognizes the Health Department as a leader and a valued partner in achieving and protecting the health of the community.
Public Health Priorities
- Monitor health status to identify and solve community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships and action to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
- Assure a competent public and personal health care workforce.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.