Pitt County has updated its Comprehensive Transportation Plan (PDF)
, which replaced the 1993 Pitt County Thoroughfare Plan (PDF)
The purpose of this plan is to examine present and future transportation needs of Pitt County's planning area. The plan recommends improvements that are needed to provide an efficient transportation system during the 2005-2030 planning period. The plan serves as an official guide to providing a well-coordinated, efficient, and economical transportation system utilizing all modes of transportation.
History of the Process
- North Carolina Department of Transportation and Planning Staff started this process in January of 2005.
- Two public meetings were held on March 16, 2005 and July 20, 2005 in the Pitt County Commissioners Auditorium prior to the Planning Board meetings. Twenty-six citizens attended the meeting in March and twenty citizens attended the meeting in July.
- The purpose of these meetings was to discuss the findings from the study including deficiencies, improvements, and recommendations, and to solicit public input.
- On September 21, 2005 the Planning Board held a public hearing and unanimously recommended approval of this plan to the Pitt County Board of Commissioners. The plan was presented to the Board of Commissioners on October 17 2005, and was unanimously approved.
- Following that meeting the plan received final endorsements from the Mid-East Rural Planning Organization followed by the North Carolina Department of Transportation.