- Floodplain Information
- Flood Safety
There are several actions residents of flood hazard areas can take to decrease the potential of injury due to flooding.
- Be familiar with local flood warning procedures as mentioned in this notice.
- Do not attempt to cross a flowing stream where water is above your knees.
- Keep children away from flood waters, ditches, culverts, and storm drains.
- If your vehicle stalls in high water, abandon it immediately and seek higher ground.
- Evacuate the flood hazard area in times of impending flood or when advised to do so by Pitt County officials.
- Just prior to evacuations, cut off all electrical circuits at the fuse panel or disconnect switches. If this in not possible, disconnect all electrical appliances and shut off the water services and gas valves in your home.
The Flood Warning System
The county receives flood warnings from the National Weather Service via the Emergency Broadcast System and the NC. Division of Emergency Management. Within 24 hours or less, the Pitt County Emergency Services Office acts upon all warnings received and disseminates important information to the public via local radio, television stations, fixed siren systems, public address systems, and the Emergency Broadcast System. The county has also adopted an Emergency Operations Plan to address multiple hazards that threaten the jurisdiction. This document presents a basic plan for Pitt County officials that clearly defines who will do what and when during an emergency.