Low Income Energy Assistance (LIEAP)
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) administered by the Department of Social Services provides a one-time vendor payment to eligible families who need help with heating expenses.
Current program guidelines include:
• Applications will be taken December 1, 2016 through March 31, 2017 or until all funds are spent
• When all funds are spent, the program will end
• County mails LIEAP checks directly to the vendor on behalf of approved recipients
• Benefit amount is based on household size and income
• Funds for this year total approximately $827,209
Income verification is a must for all applicants. Those applying will need verification of all income received the month prior to the date of application.
• Wages received in the month prior to your application
• Gross amount of Social Security benefits
• Gross amount of any retirement received
• Child support and contributions received from anyone outside your home
• Any other income received
• Names, dates of birth, and Social Security numbers of all household members
• Proof of how you heat your home (Name and address of provider and account number is needed)
• Everyone who lives under your roof must be included.
WHERE TO APPLY
As of Monday, March 6, 2017, LIEAP applications will only be taken at the Pitt County Human Services Center, 203 Government Circle, Greenville, NC 274834. The Human Services Center will be open during regular business hours of 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday, and can be contacted via phone at 252-902-1110. This will be the only location accepting applications for the remainder of the program this season. The program ends on March 31, 2017, or when funds have been exhausted.