Developmental Screening

The North Carolina Division of Child Development and Early Education ("DCDEE") requires child care providers who participate in the Subsidized Child Care Assistance Program to offer information to families about developmental screening.

This does not need to be complicated or time consuming, and it does not require providers to receive any special training. But screening can make it much easier for kids with developmental problems to get help during their critical early years. More information can be found in the following video, which is a little over 4 minutes in length.

If they have not already done so, we would appreciate it if the licensee of each child care center or family child care home would print and sign the Developmental Screening Provider Agreement. In addition to your signature, please be sure to clearly print your name and the name of your center or child care home.

Then mail the signed agreement to the Pitt County DSS Child Care Program at 1717 East Fifth Street, Greenville, NC 27834, or email it to

Finally, please look below the video for some tips and resources you can use.
Developmental Screening
Most child care professionals have noticed kids who have trouble developing some skills, or who may develop them later than other children. Sometimes parents will have noticed it themselves, and will ask child care professionals for advice.

Here are some helpful tips on how you might handle these situations. If you or a child's family would like more information on the milestones that children typically reach at certain ages, please view or print one of the fact sheets below. More information can be found at Learn the Signs, Act Early, and at the American Academy of Pediatrics'

There is also a free 1-hour online training course for child care professionals called Watch Me! Celebrating Milestones and Sharing Concerns, which is described on our list of free staff training opportunities. Like all of the courses on the list, it has been approved for continuing education credit by the North Carolina Division of Child Development and Early Education.

Whenever a child might have a developmental problem, their parents or other caregivers should discuss it with the child's doctor. Some other resources here in Pitt County include the Children's Developmental Services Agency, which manages the local Infant-Toddler Program, and the Martin-Pitt Partnership for Children.