LIHWAP (Water Assistance)

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP), administered by Pitt County Department of Social Services, is a federally funded, income-based program which provides assistance to low-income households to prevent disconnection or provide assistance with reconnection of drinking water and wastewater services.  The program is funded with American Rescue Plan funds provided to the State of North Carolina.  A one-time vendor payment will be made for eligible households who need assistance with water and wastewater expenses.  For more information, contact Pitt County Pitt County Human Services Center at 252-902-1352.

2023 Application Deadline:  Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Current Program Guidelines Include

  • Applications will be taken beginning December 1, 2021. [see Priority Groups]
  • Eligibility is based on household income.
  • Water bill information including vendor and account number will be needed.
  • LIHWAP checks are mailed directly to the water vendor on behalf of approved recipients.

Priority Groups

  • Group 1:  Households that have had water services disconnected
  • Group 2:  Households that are in jeopardy of water services being disconnected, unless action is taken to prevent the disconnect
  • Group 3:  Households that have current water services bills and need assistance to maintain service

Households in priority groups 1 & 2 will be given first priority to receive LIHWAP assistance during the month of December 2021.  Beginning January 3, 2022, households in groups 1 & 2 not already assisted in December and households in group 3 will be assisted with any remaining funds until all funds are spent.  

In accordance with COVID recommendations, applicants are encouraged to apply online at, by telephone, by submitting a paper application via the U.S. Postal Service or by fax to the Pitt County Human Services Center (address and fax number below). Applications may also be dropped off at Pitt County Pitt County Human Services Center. Interested individuals may call Pitt County Pitt County Human Services Center at 252-902-1352 for information on application by phone or how to receive a paper application.

How To Apply In Person or by Telephone:

  • Pitt County Human Services Center, 203 Government Circle Greenville, NC 27834                                             
  • Phone: 252-902-1352
  • Fax: 252-902-1868                                           
  • Monday – Friday 8:00 am through 5:00 pm
  • Online: