On Tuesday, September 25, 2018, following the impacts of Hurricane Florence, Pitt County Department of Social Services (DSS) was notified that the County had been declared eligible to administer the Disaster Food and Nutrition benefits program. This program is made available through the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services.
This program will provide food and nutrition benefits (food stamps) for eligible households that are not currently receiving benefits, and have experienced a loss as a direct result of Hurricane Florence. Residents may qualify for assistance for a one-month period if they meet any of the following criteria:
• Their home was damaged or destroyed
• They have had disaster related expenses
• Experienced a loss of income
• Experienced a loss of food due to power outage or household flooding
• Meet eligibility requirements based on available income and resources
The following locations have been established to accept and process applications:
• Salem United Methodist Church, 785 McDonald Street, Simpson, NC 27858
• Peace Presbyterian Church, 301 Guiness Drive, Winterville, NC 28590
• Phillippi Church, 3760 Phillippi Drive, Greenville, NC 27834 **
(**NOTE: This location is designated for elderly and disabled applicants)
Applications will be taken from Friday, September 28 – Saturday, October 6, 2018, from 8:00am – 5:00pm. Applications will NOT be accepted on Sunday, September 30, 2018. Residents currently receiving food benefits, including those requesting replacement benefits, are not eligible for this disaster program. Applicants will need to provide verification of identity. Any document that shows their name, such as a utility or other bill, will be accepted. PLEASE NOTE: Individuals currently receiving assistance who need replacement benefits should NOT go to these locations, but to the Human Services Center at 203 Government Circle, Greenville, NC 27834.
Because of possible lines and wait times, applicants are encouraged to bring medications and other necessary items; as well as limiting the number of those accompanying them.