Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance Updates
On July 18th, 2022, Pitt County adopted an updated version of the Flood Damage Prevention ordinance.
The Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance (FDPO) is designed to enforce certain standards to minimize the damage to residential and commercial structures in the event of flooding. An updated FDPO that meets FEMA regulations is also required to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP,) which Pitt County has participated in since 1980. Participation in the NFIP allows Pitt County citizens to purchase flood insurance. The NC Floodplain Management Branch created a model ordinance that meets FEMA requirements which has been used by Pitt County since 2001.This model was updated in 2021 to meet FEMA as well as state standards, prompting these revisions to the Pitt County Ordinance. The updated ordinance and a summary of changes can be found in the links below.
If you have any questions about these updates, please contact the Pitt County Planning Department at (252) 902-3250.
- Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance
- National Flood Insurance Program-FloodSmart
- NC Flood Inundation Mapping and Alert Network
- This website contains real-time river gauge information and forecasts, and can also show potential flooding scenarios. Click the "Enter FIMAN" button on the lower right-hand side to enter the site.
- North Carolina Flood Risk Information System
- This website contains digital flood maps for Pitt County and the remainder of the state.
Floodplain management is the operation of an overall program of corrective and preventative measures for reducing flood damage, including but not limited to:
- Emergency preparedness plans
- Flood control works
- Floodplain management regulations
Measures & Activities
- Mapping communities to identify flood prone areas
- Elevating buildings above the base flood
- Relocating structures out of the floodplain
The Pitt County Planning Department assists several communities in Pitt County with the enforcement of floodplain regulations. The communities we assist are:
- Town of Ayden
- Town of Grifton
- Town of Grimesland
- Town of Bethel
- Village of Simpson
- Town of Falkland
- Town of Fountain
If you live in one of these communities and need assistance, please contact the Pitt County Planning Department at 252-902-3250.