Temporary Food Establishments (TFE)

What is a Temporary Food Establishment?

Per 15A NCAC 18A .2600, A temporary food establishment is “a food establishment that operates for a period of time not to exceed 21 days in one location, affiliated with and endorsed by a transitory fair, carnival, circus, festival, or public exhibition.”

festival 2

Have you ever visited the Pitt County Fair and enjoyed a smoked turkey leg? What about the Winterville Watermelon Festival and snacked on some chicken on a stick? These food establishments that provide festival goers different options for food, snacks, and drinks during the event are what we know as Temporary Food Establishments.

Have questions about becoming a temporary food establishment at the next local event? We at Pitt County Environmental Health have put together resources for you on this website to inform you of requirements, recommendations, and answers to your questions.

If you are an event coordinator and plan on having food vendors at your event, please fill out this “event coordinator application” with an attached list of proposed food vendors. 

If you are a food vendor operating in conjunction with a festival, sporting event, or fair, please fill out this “temporary food establishment application”.

To submit your completed application, you can either email the completed application to pitt.envhealth@pittcountync.gov, or mail/drop off at 1825 Hospital Drive Greenville, NC 27834 with the $75 fee NO LATER THAN 15 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EVENT. Applications received later than 15 days prior to the event will not be accepted.

If you have any questions about your event or operating at an event, please contact Jordan Horne at 252-902-3228 or jordan.horne@pittcountync.gov