Council On Aging

The Pitt County Council on Aging will assist clients that are over sixty years of age and are not receiving Medicaid. The Council on Aging will cover the cost of transportation to doctor appointments and pharmacy visits (for prescription pickups only). Transportation to the Council on Aging nutrition sites and other special events are also part of the Council on Aging services. If you think you may qualify for transportation through the Council on Aging, please call 252-752-1717 for further information and assistance.


Greenville Area Transit (GREAT) provides para-transit service for elderly and disabled individuals within 3/4 of a mile of GREAT's regular fixed route. In order to qualify, the applicant must be certified by a physician or health care professional that the disability prohibits them from riding the bus. This service is provided for the City by Pitt Area Transit System. Trips must be within 3/4 of a mile of the Greenville Area Transit (GREAT) System service area. ADA reasonable accommodation request(s) can be made at the request of the passenger. For more information on this program please contact GREAT at 252-329-4532, or visit their website by CLICKING HERE.

Non-Qualifying Individuals

For individuals who do not qualify for transportation through any of the above programs or those who need transportation within Pitt County to other destinations not covered by the above programs, please contact Pitt Area Transit System at 252-902-2002 about eligibility through the Rural General Public Transportation Program (RGP).

Statute Compliance

It is the policy of Pitt Area Transit System to ensure compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; CFR, Part 21; related statutes and regulations that ensure that no person in the United States shall, on the grounds of race, color, sex, age, national origin or disability, be excluded from participation in, or be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance from the United States Department of Transportation.